Course Developer and Lead Instructor
About the instructor
Ben McDonald has been in the fitness industry for 12 years. He has an extensive and varied sporting background including fencing, board diving, and various forms of Mixed Martial Arts. Ben has competed in Cricket, Aikido, Boxing, and Rugby. Ben’s career highlights include training a wide array of people from beginners up to premiership footballers, national champions in boxing, and elite level athletes. Ben has taught for the largest health and fitness training provider in Europe and has been published in multiple UK based magazines. Ben has developed multiple qualifications, presented internationally, and is considered UK’s leading expert in PowerClub training. Awarded the 2013 recognition award for International Presenting and Work in the Health and Fitness Industry, it is evident that Ben’s passion and energy transfer directly to his students and his love for the industry is contagious. Ben’s core belief is that fitness should be inclusive not exclusive as there is no one way to do it.
DTS Bagwork Basics is a foundational level course suitable for both fitness professionals and the general public interested in integrating this fun and stress-reducing modality into their workouts. The systematic-layered teaching approach emphasizes focused practice: each component is broken down and fine-tuned with drills before re-integrating it back into a bigger movement or a sequence.
What Will I Learn?
- Add fun and effective finisher protocols to your clients’ (or your own) workouts.
- Learn to assess, mobilize and stabilize your body before engaging in striking using the “DTS 3Ps™” system.
- Understand why and how to wrap your hands prior to using boxing gloves.
- Practice selecting correct striking stance and delivering straight punches (Jab and Cross).
- Learn right the first time and avoid common mistakes.
- View, download and try our sample High-Intensity Interval (HIIT) finisher workouts.
- No prior boxing or striking knowledge is required, this is a foundational level course.
- Access to boxing equipment is beneficial but is not mandatory. Shadow boxing could be practiced instead.
- DTS Level 1 Certification is helpful, but not required.
- 5.1 Hand Wrapping
- 5.2 Self-Select Stance
- 5.3 Common Errors with Self-Select Stance
- 5.4 Jab
- 5.5 Common Errors with Jab
- 5.6 Down the Wall Drill for Jab
- 5.7 Cross
- 5.8 Common Errors with Cross
- 5.9 Down the Wall Drill for Cross
- 5.10 On the Bag - Jab
- 5.11 On the Bag - Cross
- 5.12 On the Bag - 1-2
- 5.13 On the Bag - 1-2-3
- 5.14 On the Bag - 1-4